Outlaws ‘Til The End is both a startling curveball and a ferocious statement of individuality from a band who have been a constant and effective force in the heavy metal world for the best part of two decades now. “I think real music has always gotten to me, whether it’s the blues or even real Goth music like Bauhaus and Sisters Of Mercy, as well as outlaw country greats like Johnny Cash, Wayne “The Train” Hancock, and Willie Nelson,” Fafara explains. “That stuff has always attracted me, and this is absolutely the real McCoy. The blues and outlaw country are what made rock n’ roll. They were around before rock n’ roll… and in my head, I’ve always heard these songs heavy.”
From the opening seconds of Hank3‘s”Country Heroes” onward, Outlaws ‘Til The End is simply one of the most invigorating records the band have made yet. More importantly, these evocative, irresistible songs have all been wholly rebuilt from the ground up, powered by the classic DEVILDRIVER sound and embellished with Fafara’s unmistakable feral roar. Outlaws ‘Til The End was produced, mixed and recorded with Steve Evetts (Dillinger Escape Plan, Every Time I Die, Sepultura, The Cure), with Devildriver guitarist Mike Sprietzer also lending recording talents. The album was mastered by renowned engineer Alan Douches.
Completing this unprecedented project is a host of metal and country luminaries providing unforgettable cameos: horror metal icon Wednesday13 lends his incensed rasp to George Jones’ “If Drinking Don’t Kill Me”, 36 Crazyfists frontman Brock Lindow brings fire and soul to Steve Earle‘s, “Copperhead Road”, and Fear Factory‘s Burton C. Bell helps to turn Richard Thompson‘s anti-war classic, “Dad’s Gonna Kill Me”, into a brooding gothic metal extravaganza. Meanwhile, Lamb of God members Randy Blythe and Mark Morton contribute to an exhilarating decimation of Willie Nelson‘s “Whiskey River” before Randy makes a second appearance on DEVILDRIVER‘s version of cowboy standard “Ghost Riders In The Sky”; the latter featuring the son of Johnny Cash himself.
DEVILDRIVER Outlaws ‘Til The End track listing:
1. “Country Heroes” – Performed by Hank3 & Dez Fafara
2. “Whiskey River”Performed by Randy Blythe, Mark Morton of Lamb of God & Dez Fafara
3. “Outlaw Man” Performed by Dez Fafara & Neal Tiemann of DEVILDRIVER
4. “Ghost Riders in the Sky” Performed by John Carter Cash, Ana Cristina Cash, Randy Blythe & Dez Fafara
5. “I’m the Only Hell (Mama Ever Raised)” Performed by Dez Fafara & DEVILDRIVER
6. “If Drinking Don’t Kill Me (Her Memory Will)” Performed by Wednesday13 & Dez Fafara
7. “The Man Comes Around” Performed by Lee Ving of Fear & Dez Fafara
8. “A Thousand Miles From Nowhere” Performed by Dez Fafara & Neal Tiemann of DEVILDRIVER
9. “Copperhead Road” Performed by Brock Lindow of 36 Crazyfists & Dez Fafara
10. “Dad’s Gonna Kill Me” Performed by Burton C. Bell of Fear Factory & Dez Fafara
11. “A Country Boy Can Survive” Performed by Dez Fafara & DEVILDRIVER
12. “The Ride” Performed by Lee Ving of Fear & Dez Fafara